Typically, tomato sauce is my go-to on pasta. I love to make homemade sauce from canned tomatoes and lots of Italian seasoning. Pasta with tomato sauce is so simple, always tasty, and a perfect easy dinner!
I know my love for tomato sauce, but I have also been switching up the pasta toppings. Pesto sauce makes this dish fun and different, and it’s a complete meal all in one bowl! I always encourage clients (and anyone who asks for food advice!) to aim for protein, carb, and fat (and fiber!) at your meals to make a balanced and filling dish. Pasta provides a carb source for energy, white beans are a great plant based protein, and olive oil as well as cheese in the pesto provide a fat source! Add in the veggies for fiber and you have a one bowl dish.
I made this dinner while racing against the sunset so I would be able to snap a pic (that ‘fall back’ really killed me!), and I was so surprised by just how quickly it all came together! I sliced and sautéed the brussels sprouts while pasta cooked and everything else was dump and go! This is a great weeknight meal that is a crowd pleaser too!
White Bean and Vegetable Pesto Pasta
- 1 1 pound box pasta of your choice I used gemelli!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 1 7.5 oz. jar sundried tomatoes
- 2 15.5 oz. cans white beans also called cannelini beans
- 2 8 oz. jars pesto sauce
- bring a large pot of heavily salted water to boil on the stove
- add pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions, then drain and put back into empty pot
- heat a large skillet over low heat on the stove and coat the bottom with olive oil
- slice the brussels sprouts into thin flat pieces (you can use a knife or a mandolin if you have one)
- add the sliced brussel sprouts to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft and bright green
- In a separate large bowl add the drained pasta, pesto, sundried tomatoes, beans, and the brussels sprouts that have cooked in the skillet, mix well and serve!